You'll need to provide proof of your rent arrangements to get Rent Assistance.
If you get certain payments from us we’ll assess your eligibility when you pay rent and you either:
- tell us you’ve moved address
- tell us the rent you pay has changed.
If you don’t get a payment from us we’ll assess your eligibility when you claim certain payments.
If you don’t tell us when these changes happen, you may be doing the wrong thing.
You must tell us if any of the following occurs:
- you change or correct your name
- your rent costs change
- you move house
- your income changes
- your marital status changes
- the number of dependent children in your care changes
- people move in or out of the house you live in.
How to confirm your rent
We use a Rent Certificate to confirm your rent details. We'll give you one if we need you to fill it out.
We may send you a Rent Certificate SU523 form. This is if you changed or updated your address with us in the last 7 days, and told us you're:
- paying site, mooring, maintenance, accommodation or service fees.
Please submit your completed form and documents we ask you for online.
Community housing rent
Please ask your community housing organisation if they use the Electronic Verification of Rent (EVoR) scheme.
If they do you don’t need to tell us when your rent changes. They can help you fill out a consent form.
Read more about EVoR.
How to tell us
The easiest way to tell us about changes is using our self service options.
You need to do both of the following:
- tell us within 14 days of the change
- make sure your details are up to date in myGov
It’s never too late to report a change.
It’s important to tell us if you change your legal name.
To change or correct your legal name, we’ll need:
- an original document issued by a state or territory Births, Deaths and Marriages registry
- your consent to verify the document.
You need to bring your document to a service centre so we can update our records.
When you don't tell us
If you don't tell us about changes in your life we may pay you too much. If this happens you’ll have to pay the money back.
If you deliberately don't tell us about changes, we could charge you with fraud.