Change of circumstances

You need to tell us if your circumstances change when you get ABSTUDY Incidentals Allowance.

What to tell us

You need to tell us if any of the following things change:

  • you change or correct your name
  • your personal and contact details
  • your bank details
  • your study, including any changes to your study load or if coronavirus has affected your study
  • you’re leaving the country, temporarily or to live somewhere else
  • your accommodation details
  • you’re no longer getting a STARTUP-HELP loan for your Startup Year course.

You need to tell us about a change in your circumstances within 14 days. If you don’t, we may pay you too much. This means you’ll have debt you need to pay back.

How to tell us

You need to tell us if your circumstances change within 14 days. If your Centrelink online account is linked to myGov you can tell us about changes to your circumstances online. To do this, sign in to myGov and select My details.

Sign in to myGov

You can also tell us using either:

Read more about what you can do using self service.

If you don’t have access to a self service option please call the ABSTUDY line.

Changing or correcting your name

It’s important to tell us if you change your legal name.

Page last updated: 14 December 2023.
QC 52066