Change of circumstances

You must tell us about changes that may affect your payment within 14 days of the change.

For example, you need to tell us if:

How to tell us

You can tell us about changes at any time either:

Changing or correcting your name

It’s important to tell us if you change your legal name.

To change or correct your legal name, we’ll need:

  • an original document issued by a state or territory Births, Deaths and Marriages registry
  • your consent to verify the document.

You need to bring your document to a service centre so we can update our records.

What happens if you don’t tell us

If you don’t tell us about changes, we may pay you too much. If this happens you’ll have to pay the money back.

If you deliberately don’t tell us about changes, we could charge you with fraud.

If you give us the wrong details about your work income, you may have to pay a recovery fee.

Page last updated: 26 May 2022