When you hold a temporary visa

If you hold most temporary protection type visas, you can’t get Parental Leave Pay overseas for a child born or adopted from 1 July 2023 for any reason.

You may be able to get Parental Leave Pay while you’re overseas, but only if you hold one of these visas:

  • a Partner Provisional visa subclass 309 or visa subclass 820
  • a Safe Haven Enterprise visa subclass 790
  • a Temporary Protection visa subclass 785 granted on or after 16 December 2014.

If you hold one of these visas, you may get Parental Leave Pay for up to 6 weeks if you’re travelling outside Australia for one of these approved reasons:

  • to attend an acute family crisis - for example, to visit a family member who is critically ill
  • for specific humanitarian reasons - for example, to adopt a child or attend custody proceedings
  • to get eligible medical treatment that isn’t available in Australia.

If your Parental Leave Pay stops when you depart, you may still be paid for any remaining days. The following must both apply:

  • you return to Australia and are eligible at a later time
  • you claim within 2 years of your child’s birth or adoption.
Page last updated: 27 March 2023.
QC 64511