Telling us about a change of circumstances

You need to tell us if your circumstances change when you get Parental Leave Pay for a child born or adopted from 1 July 2023.

What to tell us

You need to tell us if any of the following things happen:

  • you need to change a day because you have worked or are planning to work on a day you wanted to get Parental Leave Pay
  • you’re no longer caring for your child
  • you change or correct your name
  • your personal or contact details change
  • you’re leaving Australia, temporarily or to live somewhere else.

You need to tell us about a change in your circumstances straight away. For some changes, if you don’t, we may pay you too much. This means you’ll have a debt you need to pay back.

How to tell us

If your Centrelink online account is linked to myGov and we’ve assessed your Parental Leave Pay claim, you can tell us about most changes online.

To do this:

  1. Sign in to myGov.
  2. Select My family, then Parental Leave Pay Circumstances.

Sign in to myGov

If we haven’t assessed your claim yet, call the Centrelink families line.

Changing or correcting your name

It’s important to tell us if you change your legal name.

Page last updated: 28 September 2023.
QC 64493