Supporting documents you need when applying to be an approved voluntary work organisation

Community based organisations must provide supporting evidence when applying to become a voluntary work organisation. Government sector agencies don’t need to provide this evidence.

Evidence of not for profit status

If you’re community based, you must provide evidence of your organisation’s not for profit status.

We accept any of the following as evidence:

  • articles of, or a certificate of incorporation
  • a copy of your organisation’s constitution
  • a copy of your registration or membership with the regional, state or national Volunteer Centre.

Evidence of insurance

Community based organisations must provide evidence that they hold 2 types of insurance.

The following table describes both:

  • the 2 types of insurance your organisation must hold
  • the evidence you need to provide.
Insurance Type Accepted evidence
Public liability insurance
Covers injury to third parties and damage to third party property.
You can provide either:
  • a certificate of currency
  • a notice in writing from your provider.
Personal accident insurance
Covers volunteers for any accident or injury they have while working with your organisation.
Voluntary worker’s insurance is another name for it. People often purchase it on its own or as an addition to their public liability insurance.
You can provide either:
  • a certificate of currency
  • a notice in writing from your provider.

In all cases, evidence of your insurance must confirm all of the following details:

  • your organisation’s name
  • the type of insurance
  • the period of coverage
  • the amount of cover.

We can't accept Policy Disclosure Statements and tax invoices as evidence, as they don’t confirm this information.

To find out more about insurance cover, contact your insurance provider.

Page last updated: 26 August 2022.
QC 54254