Supporting documents

When you claim a payment or service, we’ll ask you for some documents to support your claim.

Depending on your circumstances, we may ask for some documents to support your claim.

What documents you need

As you complete your claim, we’ll ask you for certain documents or information. We’ll tell you in the claim which documents we need. These will show as required in your claim.

You need to give us the required documents on the Next steps page in your online account. You need to provide these before you can submit your claim. Having them ready will help you finish your claim and speed up the process.

If you have any questions or are having trouble getting the information you can call us on your regular payment line.

Other documents you may need

You may need to give us other documents. These show as supplementary in the claim. You should try to give us your supplementary documents at the same time as the required documents. You have up to 14 days after you submit your claim to submit these documents.

We might be able to process your claim quicker if you give them to us at the same time.

We may ask you for more information as we work through your claim and assess your circumstances. We’ll try and call you first, but if we can’t call you we’ll write you a letter. This letter may come to you through myGov or by post. You’ll have 14 days to get back to us, or we may reject your claim. We’ll put your claim on hold while we wait.

What common documents are

We’ve listed the documents and information we usually ask for. You may not need all of them. Your partner or nominee may also need to give us some of these documents to support your claim.

Tax file numberYou’ll need your tax file number (TFN). If you don’t have a one, you can apply to get a TFN free on the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website.

You may need to give details of your and your partner’s financial assets. Listed below are documents you may need to complete your claim:

  • bank account details
  • savings, term deposits, mortgage offsets or overseas bank account details - the documents must detail account names, account number, name of financial institution and the current account balance
  • investments
  • insurance agreements
  • income and assets, including real estate assets
  • income stream schedule
  • the latest annual superannuation statement issued by your superannuation fund.

If you have a Self-Managed Superannuation Fund (SMSF) or Small APRA fund (SAF), you’ll need to give us the latest annual member statement. You’ll also need to give us the latest annual financial return for the fund.


You may need to tell us your:

  • partner details, including citizenship, study, work, bank balances and income details
  • separation details.
Residence details if you’ve lived outside Australia

You may need to tell us your:

  • visa information
  • the date you and your partner became Australian citizens
  • the dates you and your partner lived in other countries.
Employment or work

If you stop working, or have lost your job you may need to give us an employment separation certificate and payslips.

If you’re having trouble getting these, call us on the Centrelink employment services line.

You may also need to tell us about any income you’re paid from:

  • work
  • a small business
  • other income, such as rent from an investment property.

You may be able to get some documents through your ATO online account. Read more about what you can do in your ATO online account, on the ATO website.


We may ask you to give us or confirm your:

  • planned and previous course details
  • scholarship details
  • enrolment details or fee receipts
  • course acceptance notices
  • academic transcripts.

If you’re doing a Startup Year course, we’ll ask for proof that you’re enrolled. We’ll also ask for proof that you’re getting a STARTUP-HELP loan.

You must provide proof of enrolment if you are enrolled in a:

  • tertiary course at a Technical and Further Education (TAFE) or a private education provider
  • secondary course at an education provider that isn’t a secondary school, including a university, TAFE or a private provider.

If we ask you for proof of enrolment, we’ll need you to give us documents that:

  • have the name of your course
  • are official documents from your education provider
  • have the period you’re enrolled in.

You may need to give us your:

  • Health Care Card claims
  • medical reports
  • medical certificates.

How to submit your documents

You can upload documents in your Centrelink online account or the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app. Read more about how to submit your Centrelink documents online.

You can also give them to us by mail, fax, or by visiting a service centre.

Page last updated: 20 May 2024.
QC 45521