Residence rules

On the day you claim Family Tax Benefit Part A and Part B you must meet the residence rules.

You must be living in Australia and have 1 of the following:

Your child must also meet these rules or be living with you.

Newly arrived residents generally have to wait 1 year before getting Family Tax Benefit Part A, with some exemptions. There are no waiting periods for Family Tax Benefit Part B.

You must continue to meet the residence rules for as long as you get this payment.

Page last updated: 3 March 2022.