You need a Healthcare Provider Identifier-Individual (HPI-I) to use the HI Service and access My Health Record. A HPI-I is a unique number that identifies you in the HI Service.
To get a HPI-I, you need to provide healthcare services and be either:
- registered with Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (Ahpra)
- a member of a professional association that has certain characteristics.
There are 2 ways to get a HPI-I:
- you can register with Ahpra, they’ll assign you a HPI-I. You can contact Ahpra to find out your HPI-I
- you can register for a HPI-I in the HI Service using Health Professional Online Services (HPOS).
Get a HPI-I using HPOS
If you’re not registered with Ahpra, you can register for a HPI-I in the HI Service using HPOS.
You need an individual Provider Digital Access (PRODA) account to access HPOS. If you don’t have one, register for a PRODA account and link HPOS using your identifier.
To register for a HPI-I in the HI Service, log in to your PRODA account to access HPOS, then:
- Select My programs then Healthcare Identifiers and My Health Record.
- Select Healthcare Identifiers - Register Allied Health Professional.
- Select Register in the HI Service and get a HPI-I then Apply now.
- Follow the steps to register.
Once we’ve processed your request, we’ll send the outcome to your HPOS mailbox. This will include your HPI-I if it’s successful.