Visiting from Malta

If you’re visiting Australia from Malta or the Maltese Islands, you may be eligible for medical care under Medicare while you’re here.

Who can get it

To be eligible, you must both:

  • be a citizen of Malta
  • have been living in Malta before arriving in Australia.

This includes all the Maltese Islands.

You’ll need to enrol in Medicare to get services and payments.

If you’re here on a student visa, you’re not eligible.

If you’re a diplomat

If you’re a diplomat, you and your family are eligible to enrol in Medicare while you’re posted here.

This means the cover under the agreement will apply for as long as you’re in Australia.

If you’re not eligible for Medicare

If you’re not eligible for Medicare, you can’t claim a benefit for treatment you have in Australia. If you need to lodge an income tax return in Australia, you may be eligible for a Medicare levy exemption. This applies if you weren’t eligible for Medicare for all or part of the financial year. You’ll need to get a Medicare Entitlement Statement from us to do this.

Read more about the Medicare levy exemption on the Australian Taxation Office website.

What’s covered

The agreement covers:

  • medically necessary care out of hospital
  • medically necessary care as a public patient in a public hospital including inpatient and outpatient services
  • some PBS prescription medicines at the general rate.

Read more about the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS).

How to enrol in Medicare

Enrol in Medicare by following these steps:

  1. Completing a Medicare enrolment form.
  2. Mailing or emailing your form and supporting documents to Medicare Enrolment Services.

Documents you need to show if you’re a citizen

You’ll need to show evidence of your current visa, and either:

  • your Maltese passport
  • your Maltese identity card
  • proof you’re a dependent on someone else’s Maltese passport or identity card.

You may need to show at least 2 documents proving you live in Malta. This could include:

  • a work contract
  • a rental or lease agreement or bond receipt
  • a bank statement
  • evidence of child enrolled in childcare or school
  • property or contents insurance statements
  • gas, electricity, water or rates account.

When your cover starts and ends

Your cover starts the day you arrive in Australia.

It ends after 6 months unless your visa expires earlier.

If you get medical treatment in Australia before you enrol in Medicare, you may get a Medicare benefit for it.

Once you enrol, submit your claim. We’ll then be able to tell you if you can get a benefit under the agreement or not.

Page last updated: 5 April 2024.
QC 38151