Payments that show on it

Your payment summary shows both taxable and non-taxable payments you got from us in a tax year.

Taxable payments

Taxable payments on payment summaries are:

  • ABSTUDY Living Allowance, if you’re 16 or older
  • Age Pension
  • Austudy
  • Bereavement Allowance
  • Business Service Wage Assessment Tool Payment (BSWAT) lump sum in arrears
  • Community Development Employment Program (CDEP) Participant Supplement
  • Dad and Partner Pay
  • Disability Support Pension, if you are of Age Pension age
  • Disaster Recovery Allowance
  • Education Entry Payment
  • Emergency and General Assistance Payment
  • Exceptional Circumstances Relief Payment
  • Farm Household Allowance
  • Farm Household Allowance Relief Payment
  • Farm Household Allowance Supplement
  • JobSeeker Payment
  • Parental Leave Pay that we pay you
  • Parenting Payment
  • PaTH Internship Incentive - JobSeeker
  • PaTH Internship Incentive - Pension
  • Pensioner Partner Allowance
  • Pensions Mature Age Allowance
  • Special Benefit, if you’re 16 or older
  • Youth Allowance, if you’re 16 or older
  • Youth Disability Supplement, if you’re 16 or older, paid with Youth Allowance or ABSTUDY Living Allowance.

Your Carer Payment will be taxable if either you or any:

  • of your care receivers is of Age Pension age
  • person you get Carer Allowance for is of Age Pension age and you transferred from Wife Pension.

Non-taxable payments

Some non-taxable payments that appear on your payment summary must be included in your tax return. These are:

  • Carer Payment, if you and all care receivers are under Age Pension age
  • Disability Support Pension, if you are under Age Pension age
  • Youth Disability Supplement, when paid with Disability Support Pension
  • Remote Area Allowance.

Tax year

A tax year or financial year is different to a calendar year.

As you know, a calendar year goes from 1 January to 31 December. But a tax year goes from 1 July one calendar year, to 30 June the next calendar year. For example 1 July 2022 to 30 June 2023. We refer to this as the 2022-23 tax year or financial year.

When you lodge a tax return, it’s for income you got in the last tax year.


Simmo started getting a taxable payment from us on 10 September 2022. They also did paid casual work at a café from 1 October 2022 to 15 March 2023. Simmo’s income and payment are within the 1 July 2022 to 30 June 2023 period.

Simmo will need to lodge a tax return to declare this income to the Australian Taxation Office. This means, they’ll lodge a tax return for the 2022-23 tax year.

Simmo waits until 28 July 2023 to lodge their tax return. This is so their Centrelink payment summary and café pre-fill details are ready.

Page last updated: 6 July 2023.
QC 62456