on this page
Paying parents can still make other payments. We may count these as a child support payment. We call these non-agency payments.
It’s important you talk to the other parent before you make any of these payments. We need to know if you both agree the payment is a child support payment.
If you’re the paying parent or receiving parent call the Child support enquiry line to discuss a non-agency payment.
If your Child Support online account is linked to myGov, you can tell us about any payments you’ve made or received as non-agency payments online. To do this, sign into myGov and select Advise an extraordinary payment.
You can also do this by either:
Read our online guide to advising of extraordinary payments using your online account.
When you both agree it’s a child support payment
We can credit the following types of payments:
- direct payments from the paying parent to the receiving parent
- payments to a third party.
Examples of third party payments include:
- household goods
- rent or mortgage payments
- health insurance
- payments for essential medical or dental
- school fees.
Other examples of third party payments include:
- child care expenses
- credit card repayments
- travel or holiday expenses
- household bills such as gas, electricity, phone or council rates
- motor vehicle expenses
- sporting expenses
- non-cash payments, such as a transfer of property or household repairs.
When one of you doesn’t agree it’s a child support payment
We can credit some non-agency payments even if the person receiving child support doesn’t agree.
We call these prescribed non-agency payments.
When we’ll credit a prescribed non-agency payment
We can credit up to 30% of child support as a prescribed non-agency payment. We only do this if the paying parent is paying at least 70% of their monthly child support liability on time.
We only credit a prescribed non-agency payment if the paying parent has less than 14% care of the children. This is because if you have more than 14% care, your care counts towards the cost of raising them.
Read more about how your percentage of care affects your child support payments.
What are prescribed non-agency payments
Examples of prescribed non-agency payments include:
- child care costs
- school fees
- school uniform and book fees
- essential medical and dental items
- the receiving parent’s share of rent or mortgage payments
- the receiving parent’s share of utilities and rates
- some motor vehicle costs.
Read more about these payments on the Child Support Guide.
Jodie and Phil have 2 children, Steven and Gemma. Jodie pays $200 a month in child support to Phil.
Jodie pays $600 in school fees and asks us to credit the payment. Phil doesn’t agree this payment counts as child support.
School fees are a prescribed non-agency payment, and Jodie has less than 14% care of the children. This means we don’t need Phil’s agreement and we can credit the payment as child support.
Jodie pays $140, or 70% of her normal child support payment, on time every month. This allows the school fee credit to make up the other $60 or 30%.
This will happen until Jodie has used the whole $600 credit for the school fees.