Paying bills

You can use the Centrepay bill paying service to pay any business registered to accept Centrepay as a payment method.

What you can pay for

You can use Centrepay to pay for a range of goods and services.

To check if you can use Centrepay to pay for something, ask the business or use the find a business or organisation search tool.

Court fines and infringements

Contact the Court Administrative Office in your state or territory if you want to use Centrepay for:

  • court fines
  • infringements.

What you can’t pay for

You can’t pay for some things with Centrepay, these include:

  • gift cards and vouchers
  • instalments for hampers
  • alcohol and home brew products
  • cigarettes
  • pornography
  • gambling
  • firearms, accessories and ammunition
  • cash, payday lenders, pawnbrokers or debt collectors
  • credit card payments
  • payments to a third party that doesn’t provide the goods or services directly to you
  • income protection, funeral or life insurance
  • rent and lease of household goods if the agreement is less than 4 months or doesn’t have an end date
  • recreational accommodation
  • car leasing
  • taxis and hire cars.

You can’t use Centrepay for government housing payments to state or territory housing authorities. Contact your local housing authority for payment options. You may be able to use our Rent Deduction Scheme.

How to pay for household goods a better way

If you rent or lease household goods, you may end up paying a lot more than you think.

Better value options include:

  • Centrelink advance payments
  • no and low interest loans from community organisations
  • lay-by from stores
  • saving up the money and buying the item outright.

For help to make the most of your Centrelink payment:

Page last updated: 31 January 2024.
QC 40441