Centrepay - Business application form (SA389)

Use this form to apply to use Centrepay if you are a business.

Download and complete the Centrepay - Business application form.

Read about:

Help to complete the form

Some questions in the form ask you for specific details. We need this information so we can assess your suitability to use Centrepay. The following information should help you to complete the form and give us the information we need.

Information about your business

Questions 1 to 16 in the form are about your business.

Questions 1 and 2

In these questions other services includes:

The term related business includes any business you’re involved in or associated with.

For question 2, include all the following:

  • the business name on previous applications
  • date of applications
  • the reason for rejection, if you know it.

Question 3

You need to provide the full legal name of your business. This is the name of the entity that appears on all official documents or legal papers. For example, on:

  • legal contracts
  • registrations
  • property leases
  • employment contracts.

A trading or business name by itself is not enough.

Some examples include:

  • the full name of relevant individual if you’re a sole trader
  • the company name as stated on its certificate of incorporation
  • the full name of a partnership
  • the trustee of a trust and the full name of the trust - the trustee may be a person or a company
  • the incorporated association’s name
  • local, state or territory or Commonwealth government organisation or a statutory authority.

Question 4

The registered business trading name is the name your business trades under. It may be different to the legal name.

You must register with the Australian Securities Investments Commission (ASIC) any name an entity trades under that’s not the legal name of the entity.

Question 5

You must provide an Australian Business Number (ABN).

If you’re applying as a private landlord you may choose to provide an ABN.

Question 8

This question refers to your business entity or structure. If you’re not sure, please confirm your structure details with your accountant.

A company is a separate legal entity from its owners or operators. It’s incorporated under the Corporations Act 2018 or Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2018. A company usually has:

  • Pty, Ltd, Ltd or NL at the end
  • an Australian Company Number (ACN)
  • an ABN.

A trustee of a trust may be a person or company. They must be legally capable of holding trust property in their own right for the benefit of beneficiaries.

There may be more than one trustee. The trustee is the applicant on behalf of the trust. Trusts aren’t legal entities.

Partnerships can be either:

  • individuals
  • companies
  • trusts
  • incorporated associations.

You must include the details for all partners. Partners can have different authority levels. Particularly in regards to signing contracts. Once we approve an application, all partners are responsible for complying with Centrepay.

A sole trader is a person legally responsible for all aspects of the business. A sole trader must have an ABN. You don’t need an ABN as a sole trader if the only service you supply is residential accommodation. For example a private landlord.

Unincorporated associations are people grouped together by a common purpose, but are not legal entities and cannot sign contracts. This may be a sporting or social club.

Local, state or territory or Commonwealth Australian government organisations can enter into contracts in their own name. They can be either incorporated or unincorporated entities.

Public schools and hospitals are usually part of government. They can also be an incorporated entity under legislation.

There are other corporations that can enter into contracts in their own name. These are usually created by legislation. They include universities, many charities and church bodies.

Incorporated associations become incorporated under state or territory legislation. They aren’t incorporated under Commonwealth legislation. This may be because the entity only operates in one state or territory. These associations must run on a not for profit basis.

Use the other field if you feel your business does not fit into any of these categories. Provide further details to tell us what your business is.

Questions 9 and 10 – you must complete if your business is a company

An ACN is a 9 digit number. It’s issued by ASIC. It’s a unique identifier for companies.

Provide details of all directors of the company. A director is a person responsible for managing the company’s business activities.

Question 11 – you must complete if your business is a trust

This may be an individual or a company. Trustees are responsible for managing the affairs of the trust. They hold property for the benefit of others referred to as beneficiaries of a trust.

Question 12 – you must complete if your business is a partnership

Provide the full names of all partners. For example, Andrew John Smith instead of Andrew Smith. This section must include all partners. You must include the date of birth of all partners.

If the partners are not individual persons you need to include the details of each partner entity. For example, if a partner is a company, provide:

  • the company name
  • ACN
  • names and dates of birth of all directors.

If the business is a partnership, the signature of 1 partner will bind all the partners of the partnership.

Question 13

This must be the street address of the business and not a post office box number or other delivery point address.

If the business operates from several locations, use the head office address or primary physical address.

Business activity

Questions 17 to 34 are about your business’s activity.

Question 17

Only complete this for goods or services that you want to provide using Centrepay. If you’re not sure about the correct category, you can list it as Other.

For information about what’s included and excluded see:

Question 18

Provide as much detail as you can about your goods and services that you intend to sell using Centrepay.

If you’re providing a form of credit, lay-by or savings, you need to:

  • describe the terms and conditions of these arrangements
  • provide any other relevant details, such as any extra fees and charges you may impose on customers.

Question 19

If your business owns residential property or properties, and wholly or partly rents it, we may consider you a private landlord.

You need to provide the physical addresses of all property you’ll be renting to tenants for Centrepay purposes.

Questions 20 and 21

A consumer leasing arrangement means the rental, lease or hire of household goods. It includes whitegoods, electrical and furniture.

Only leases regulated under the National Consumer Credit Protection Act 2009, and where the lessor holds an Australian Credit Licence, are eligible for Centrepay. If your business is providing consumer leases through an authorised credit representative arrangement, you may be eligible for Centrepay.

Questions 22 and 23

We’ll only consider microfinance savings programs provided by a partnership between a not for profit organisation and a financial institution.

The financial institution must be all of the following:

  • regulated
  • authorised under the Banking Act 1959
  • hold an Australian Financial Services Licence.

The accounts, schemes or programs must not:

  • charge fees for savings
  • put customers at a disadvantage.

Questions 26

At Question 26 you must provide your Australian Credit Licence number or authorised credit representative registration number.

You can’t use Centrepay for unregulated consumer leases.

Question 27

A business representative is any:

  • officer
  • employee
  • contractor
  • subcontractor
  • court appointed representative of the business, for example a bankruptcy trustee or a liquidator.

It’s important you answer this question for any of these entities.

Customer complaints

Question 35

Describe your complaint handling and dispute resolution procedures. Include information about where you refer your customers or clients for an independent review. Include the details if you’re a member of any external dispute resolution schemes. If your business is required to comply with an industry code, standard or regulatory guide, please also include that information.

Your bank account details

Question 36 is about the bank account you want Centrepay deductions paid into.

Question 36

The bank account name must be the registered or trading name of the business.

Questions 37 to 39 are about Centrelink Business Online Services

Question 38

We provide you with a choice of reports with information about your deductions. These are 2 types – HTML and CSV.

HTML is Hyper Text Mark-up Language. You view and print the HTML file format through a web browser. You can display the data in a tabular format.

CSV is Comma Separated Values. You can view and print the CSV format as a spreadsheet or text file. You can upload it into software systems designed to interpret data in that format.

Authorised officer and contact officer information

Questions 40 and 42 to 45 are about the people in your business who would be responsible for both of the following:

  • complying with Centrepay obligations
  • managing Centrepay deductions.

Question 40

The authorised officers must have the legal authority to act on behalf of your business and enter into a contract with us.

We’ll send all notices about Centrepay to the authorised officer. The authorised officer’s location must be in Australia.

Up to 2 authorised officers can sign at Question 44. If you want to add more authorised officers, attach a separate sheet with all the requested details. A witness must also sign for each signature.

The contact officers can’t legally bind the business or enter into a contract with us. They don’t have to sign the application. You can nominate up to 2 contact officers on the form. If you want to add more contact officers, attach a separate sheet to nominate with all the requested details.

Question 44

All business types, except unincorporated entities, must have the signature of an authorised person at Question 44.

Unincorporated entities must have the signature of an authorised person at Question 45.

Positions and roles that can sign as the authorised officer for a company are either:

  • a director of the company
  • a manager in the relevant part of the company.

Positions and roles that can sign for a trustee of a trust are either the:

  • trustee – if only one trustee
  • authorised officer of a trustee entity.

Positions and roles that can sign for partnerships are a partner with the power or delegation to sign contracts.

Only the individual who is the sole trader can sign in this case.

Internal delegation determines the positions and roles for:

  • local government
  • state and territory government
  • Australian Commonwealth government.

Positions and roles that can sign for incorporated Associations and other corporations are:

  • public officer or secretary
  • committee member or director
  • manager of the relevant part of the entity
  • if a charity, the responsible person listed on the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC) register.

A witness to the signature of the authorised officer for a company, trustee of a trust, partnership or sole trader (individual) may be:

  • any adult
  • an employee of the organisation.

A witness to the signature of the authorised officer for local, state or territory or Australian (Commonwealth) government organisation may be:

  • any adult
  • an employee of the government entity
  • left blank for local governments and public hospitals or schools.

A witness to the signature of the authorised officer for incorporated associations and other corporations may be:

  • any adult
  • an employee of the entity.

Question 45

This section is about the positions and roles that can sign as the authorised officer for an unincorporated association. If you’re a charity, it’s the responsible person listed on the ACNC register. This person should sign the application.

You must provide evidence that the signatory is a member of the unincorporated association.

People who can witness the signature of the authorised officer for an unincorporated association are:

  • any adult
  • a volunteer of the association.

This PDF is fillable. You can fill it out on your device, or print it and complete it by hand.

If you have a disability or impairment and use assistive technology, you may not be able to access our forms. If you can’t, please use business online services or contact us. We can help you access, complete and submit them.

Page last updated: 28 July 2021