Manage your bills

If you’ve recently become unemployed, you can get help to manage your bills. You may also be able to get a lump sum of money for essentials.

If you can’t afford to pay your bills, call the service provider and explain your circumstances. They may be able to reduce or defer your payments until you get a job.

This includes bills for things like:

  • mortgage, loan, credit card and store card repayments
  • rates
  • gas, electricity and water
  • phone, internet and pay TV.

You can also use our tools and services to help you manage your money. This includes practical information to help you budget and deal with debt.

Our Financial Information Service is a free service where you can learn about financial matters.

Centrepay is a free and voluntary service to pay bills as regular deductions from your income support payment.

Other financial options

If you need a lump sum amount of money, there are options you may be able to access.

Good Shepherd offers no interest loans. These loans are for essential goods and services.

If you’re in severe financial hardship, you may be able to access your superannuation early. Contact your super fund to find out your options.

The weekly payment option allows you to get your income support payment weekly. This can help if you find it hard to budget for a fortnightly payment.

If you get Family Tax Benefit or Carer Allowance, you can ask for these to be offset. This means your payment can be paid on a different week to your income support payment. To find out if you’re eligible, call your regular payment line.

Page last updated: 6 June 2022.
QC 60067