Updating parental income details
You’ll need to update your income details if you or your child get a letter from us asking for these.
What you need to do
If you or your child get a letter from us asking what your income is, you need to tell us. We need this information so we can pay your child.
You must do 1 of the following:
- tell us your annual income
- give us an estimate of your income.
If your child gets Youth Allowance
If your child gets Youth Allowance you need to tell us your income by the date in your child’s letter. If you don’t we’ll suspend your child’s payment. After this we may cancel your child’s payment and they may need to reapply.
If your child gets ABSTUDY
If your child gets ABSTUDY you need to tell us your income by 31 December. If you don’t, we may reduce your child’s ABSTUDY to zero.
What details we need
We need either:
- your annual income details
- an estimate of your annual income if you haven’t lodged a tax return for the financial years we ask for.
If you give us an income estimate, we’ll need a copy of your Notice of Assessment. You’ll get a Notice of Assessment after you lodge your tax return. You can submit this document online.
Your annual income may include:
- combined taxable income
- tax free pensions and benefits
- fringe benefits
- income from outside Australia
- reportable superannuation contributions
- net investment losses, including negative gearing for property and shares.
If you’ve paid child maintenance during the last financial year, we’ll deduct this amount from your income.
You can give us your income details using 1 of the following:
If you use the Advise Parental Income service you’ll need all of the following:
- the One Time Access Code (OTAC) in the letter
- your child’s Customer Reference Number (CRN)
- your child’s name and date of birth.
You must enter your child’s name exactly as it appears in the letter.
One Time Access Code
The letter we sent to you or your child will include a One Time Access Code (OTAC). You’ll need this to give us your income details. The OTAC connects your information to your child.
If you lose the OTAC, you’ll need to contact us so we can give you another one. You can:
If you call us or visit a service centre we’ll need your child’s:
- full name
- date of birth
If you have Centrelink linked to your myGov account, follow these steps:
- Sign in to myGov.
- Select Centrelink.
- Select Income and Assets from the menu, then below Family or parental income, select Advise Parental Income.
- Select using a One Time Access Code (OTAC) printed on a letter sent to your child or their nominee.
- Select Next.
- Complete the questions in each section to progress.
If you don’t have a myGov account or Centrelink linked, you’ll need to use your OTAC. Follow these steps:
Page last updated: 4 December 2020
This information was printed 22 January 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/topics/updating-parental-income-details/51477. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.