Payments for families

We have payments and services to help with your child's education and health care.

Payments to help families with children

We provide payments to help you with the costs of raising children.

Our Payment and Service Finder shows you payment options for your family.

Birth and adoption

Read more about payments if you're having a baby or adopting a child.

Raising children

Family Tax Benefit and Parenting Payment can help with the cost of raising children. This can be your birth, foster or adopted child. It can also be a grandchild.

Double Orphan Pension can help you care for children who are orphans. You may also be eligible if:

  • 1 parent has died and the other can’t care for the child due to special circumstances, or
  • the child is a refugee and their parents can't care for them

Rent Assistance and Telephone Allowance can make household costs easier if you get certain payments from us.

Help with child care

Child Care Subsidy helps with the cost of approved child care. Additional Child Care Subsidy gives some families extra help with child care fees. You may be able to get an additional subsidy if you’re:

  • a grandparent or great grandparent
  • transitioning to work from certain income support payments, or
  • in temporary financial hardship

We’ll pay these subsidies to your child care provider to reduce the fees you pay.

Time limits apply

Submit your claim early to make sure you receive your full payment. Read more about time limits for claiming family payments.

When a child has died

If your baby was stillborn, your family may be eligible to receive:

If you’re not eligible for Parental Leave Pay for a stillborn baby, you may receive the Stillborn Baby Payment.

You may also receive Family Tax Benefit Bereavement Payment. You’ll receive this if you’re eligible for Family Tax Benefit for a child who has died.

Read about support for you after someone has died

Help with the cost of education

Youth Allowance helps people who are:

  • 16 to 24
  • full time students or apprentices
  • looking for work, or
  • sick

If eligible, you can get Family Tax Benefit Part A for your children. They must be studying towards a year 12 or equivalent qualification. This will be up to the end of the calendar year they turn 19.

ABSTUDY is a group of payments for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students or Australian Apprentices.

Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme helps parents and carers of children who can’t go to a local government school because they:

  • live in an isolated area
  • have disability, or
  • have special needs

Pensioner Education Supplement and ABSTUDY Pensioner Education Supplement can help students. It can help with costs of full time or part time study, in a secondary or tertiary course. You need to be receiving certain income support payments to receive this.

Education Entry Payment is for people receiving some income support payments to help with the cost of study.

Caring for a child with disability or a medical condition

Carer Adjustment Payment is a one off payment. It helps families when a child up to 6 is diagnosed with:

  • a severe illness
  • medical condition, or
  • major disability

Carer Payment supports you if you can’t work in substantial paid employment. This can be providing full time daily care to:

  • someone with severe disability or medical condition, or
  • someone who is frail aged

Carer Allowance is an income supplement for parents or carers. You need to provide daily care for someone:

  • with disability
  • with a medical condition, or
  • who is frail aged

Child Disability Assistance Payment is a yearly payment to help parents with the costs of caring for a child with disability.

Essential Medical Equipment Payment is a yearly payment to help with increases to home energy costs. This can be from the use of essential medical equipment to help manage disability or a medical condition.

Support with health care

We provide financial support to help families with the cost of health care.

Medicare can help with the cost of health care services or medicine.

Child Dental Benefits Schedule helps with the cost of basic dental services for children between 2 to 17.

Cleft Lip and Cleft Palate Scheme helps families with the cost of treatment for cleft lip and cleft palate conditions.

Continence Aids Payment Scheme helps people who have permanent and severe incontinence with the cost of incontinence products.

Household assistance

Each year, eligible households receive Single Income Family Supplement.

You may receive Energy Supplement with your regular payment.

Other government and community support services

There are a range of other organisations that provide support services and useful information. You can use Payment and Service Finder to locate help in your local area.

MoneySmart has information to help you make the most of your money. Read the Families section on the MoneySmart website.

Related subjects

Page last updated: 20 September 2019