Who else can help with family and domestic violence

There are other organisations to help you with counselling, support and advice.

Call 000 if you are in immediate danger. To access 24/7 counselling and support call 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732. To close this page and display another website use the quick exit button.

Support services

Whatever your situation, it’s important to know there’s support available.


The national family violence and sexual assault counselling service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It’s confidential and free to call. They can also help with advice about online safety if you think someone is watching your online activities.

To contact them:

  • call 1800 737 732 to speak with a professional counsellor
  • use the services directory to find help in your area
  • go to the 1800RESPECT website.

1800 ELDERHelp line

The Elder Abuse Help Line directs you to your state or territory service. It’s a free information and support service. Operating hours vary. Call 1800 353 374 or use the Service Finder to find help in your area.


Compass is a national website with information and resources about the abuse of older Australians. If you or an older person you know needs help, you can use it to find support in your area.

Family Relationship Advice

The Family Relationship Advice Line can help you with family issues and separation. They can also refer you to local services for more help.

Call them on 1800 050 321. The line is open:

  • Monday to Friday, 8 am to 8 pm
  • Saturday, 10 am to 4 pm.

Financial Counselling Australia

You can talk with a private financial counsellor from Financial Counselling Australia for free.

Call 1800 007 007 to speak to someone in your state.

Kids Helpline

Kids Helpline is a free service for young people aged 5 to 25.

To contact them:

  • call 1800 551 800 at any time
  • go to the Kids Helpline website.


Lifeline offers personal crisis support services if you’re affected by family and domestic violence.

Call them on 131 114 at any time.

MensLine Australia

MensLine Australia is a phone and online support service. They provide specialist help to people affected by family and domestic violence. They also offer support to people using violence.

To contact them:

Men’s Referral Service

The Men’s Referral Service is a free phone counselling, information and referral service. They help men to stop using violence and abuse against family members.

To contact them:

The line is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, nationally.


Moneysmart can help you manage your money. They have information about urgent money help and divorce and separation.

National Legal Aid

National Legal Aid can help you find the legal aid commission in your state or territory.

Support tools

Ask Izzy

Ask Izzy is a free and anonymous way to find national and local support. It includes services like housing, meals, healthcare, counselling, legal advice and many more.


Daisy is a free app developed by 1800RESPECT that connects you to services in your local area. You can create a list of services and save them. This includes legal, housing, financial and children’s services. You can also search the internet with Daisy and understand what to expect when contacting a service.

Download Daisy from Google Play or the App Store.

Google play store logo   Appstore logo


Sunny is a free app developed by women with disability and 1800RESPECT. Sunny supports all women with disability impacted by sexual assault and family and domestic violence.

Sunny helps you to:

  • understand what violence and abuse are
  • learn about different types of violence
  • understand what has happened
  • know your rights
  • find people who can help.

Download Sunny from Google Play or the App Store.

Google play store logo   Appstore logo

Stay safe online

If you are online, you may be vulnerable to abuse. There is advice available to help you.


You can learn about online safety on the eSafety Commissioner website.

They have information and resources that can help you:

Australian Electoral Commission

Your address appears on the electoral roll. If you think this could put your family at risk, you can register as a silent elector. Contact the Australian Electoral Commission to do this.


It’s important you keep your myGov sign in details private. If you or your shared sign in details with anyone, you should change them immediately. Read more about security and myGov.

My Health Record

Information uploaded to your or your child’s My Health Record can contain contact information such as your address. If this could put your family at risk call the My Health Record System Operator on 1800 723 471. They can discuss your options with you.

Related subjects

Page last updated: 7 October 2021