Caring for an older Australian

There are payments and services to help you if you provide full time care to an older Australian.

Financial help for carers

Subscribe to receive regular email news updates for carers.

Carer Payment and Carer Allowance assist you if you provide daily care to someone either:

  • with an illness
  • with disability
  • who is frail aged.

Carer Supplement is an annual lump sum payment to help with the costs of caring for a person with either:

  • a disability
  • medical condition.

A Special Disability Trust helps immediate family members of people with severe disability make a private financial provision for both their:

  • future care
  • accommodation needs.

Financial help for people needing care

There is help with the cost of medical equipment you may need due to a disability or medical condition.

Essential Medical Equipment Payment helps with the costs of using required medical equipment. Heating and cooling also counts if they're medically essential.

The Financial Information Service is a free and confidential service that provides financial matters to all Australians.

Tell us if your situation changes

It is important you tell us if your situation changes, for example:

  • you change your address
  • the person you provide care for changes address, goes into respite care or hospital
  • the person you provide care for needs less care.

You also need to report changes to your income.

You can contact us online, in writing, by phone or by visiting your local service centre.

Other government and community support services

There are a range of other organisations that provide support services and useful information you may find helpful. You can use Payment and Service Finder to locate assistance in your local area.

Related subjects

Page last updated: 31 August 2020