Change of circumstances
We need to know about changes that could stop you from having a Pensioner Concession Card.
If you don’t tell us when these changes happen, you may be doing the wrong thing.
You must tell us if any of the following occurs:
- you change or correct your name
- you marry or start or stop living with your partner
- you start or stop being the main carer of a child
- your home address changes
- your or your partner's income or assets change
- you don’t have to lodge a tax return
- your work or study load changes
- you are leaving Australia.
How and when to tell us
The easiest way to tell us about changes is through our self service options.
You need to do both of the following:
- tell us within 14 days of the change
- make sure your details are up to date in myGov.
It’s never too late to report a change.
We will cancel your card if you stop getting a Centrelink payment. However, you may be able to keep your card for a short time after you return to work.
It’s important to tell us if you change your legal name.
To change or correct your legal name, we’ll need:
- an original document issued by a state or territory Births, Deaths and Marriages registry
- your consent to verify the document.
You need to bring your document to a service centre so we can update our records.
You can find your state or territory Births, deaths and marriage registry on the Australia.gov.au website.
What happens if you don’t tell us
If you don’t tell us about changes in your life, we may pay you too much. If this happens you’ll have to pay the money back, plus a fee.
Page last updated: 6 January 2021
This information was printed 11 June 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/pensioner-concession-card/how-manage-your-card/change-circumstances. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.