Change of circumstances

We need to know about changes that could stop you from having a Pensioner Concession Card.

If you don’t tell us when these changes happen, you may be doing the wrong thing.

You must tell us if any of the following occurs:

  • you change or correct your name
  • you marry or start or stop living with your partner
  • you start or stop being the main carer of a child
  • your home address changes
  • your or your partner's income or assets change
  • you don’t have to lodge a tax return
  • your work or study load changes
  • you are leaving Australia.

How and when to tell us

The easiest way to tell us about changes is through our self service options.

You need to do both of the following:

  • tell us within 14 days of the change
  • make sure your details are up to date in myGov.

It’s never too late to report a change.

We will cancel your card if you stop getting a Centrelink payment. However, you may be able to keep your card for a short time after you return to work.

Changing or correcting your name

It’s important to tell us if you change your legal name.

To change or correct your legal name, we’ll need:

  • an original document issued by a state or territory Births, Deaths and Marriages registry
  • your consent to verify the document.

You need to bring your document to a service centre so we can update our records.

What happens if you don’t tell us

If you don’t tell us about changes in your life, we may pay you too much. If this happens you’ll have to pay the money back, plus a fee.

Page last updated: 26 May 2022