Travel outside Australia

There are rules about how long we can pay your Pension Supplement when you travel outside Australia.

What the rules are

If you leave Australia, you may continue getting your payment. But only if you continue getting your main payment. For example, Age Pension, Disability Support Pension or Carer Payment.

There may be changes that can affect your Pension Supplement. Read more about Updates - Stopping the Pension Supplement (2016-17 Budget) on the Department of Social Services website.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

When you leave

Your Pension Supplement rate won’t change if you travel outside Australia temporarily for less than 6 weeks.

If we can pay you for over 6 weeks, your Pension Supplement will reduce to the Pension Supplement Basic Amount. This is either:

  • after 6 weeks if you’re leaving temporarily
  • on departure from Australia if you’re leaving to live in another country.

Read more about pension rates payable if you’re living outside Australia or overseas for longer than 6 weeks.

Page last updated: 31 August 2020