How to apply
Check if you're eligible before you start your application. You can apply for a top-up of your pension as a loan if you own real estate in Australia.
If you’re under Age Pension age, you have to submit your claim for the PLS. You must also submit any other qualifying pension at the same time.
Steps to apply under the Pension Loans Scheme
1. Get ready to apply
The easiest way to apply is online.
To apply online, you need a myGov account linked to Centrelink. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to set them up.
If you’re under Age Pension age, to apply for PLS you’ll need to either:
- already be on an eligible pension
- lodge a claim for an eligible pension.
You may need to prove your identity with us before you start your claim. If you’re partnered, your partner may also need to prove their identity before you can submit your application.
If you can’t apply online, you can either:
2. Get your documents ready to claim
You’ll need to get some supporting documents ready to help answer some of the questions in the claim.
- Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink.
- Select Payments and Claims from the menu, then Claims, then Make a claim.
- Under Seniors select Get started.
- Select Apply for a loan under the Pension Loans Scheme.
- Answer all the questions. Each screen has information to help you complete the application. This includes how to submit your supporting documents and any other forms you need to complete.
- Submit your application.
When you're ready:
4. Track your application
After you submit your application online, you’ll get a receipt telling you:
- your application was submitted
- the ID number of your application
- the date we estimate your application will be complete
- a link to track its progress.
We’ll let you know the result of your application. We’ll send a message to your myGov Inbox.
If you don't get electronic letters, we'll send you a letter in the mail.
If we need more details we’ll ask you for them.
If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.
To do your business with us, create a myGov account and link to Centrelink.
Your options and obligations for the Pension Loans Scheme.
Page last updated: 30 October 2020
This information was printed 10 April 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/pension-loans-scheme/how-apply. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.