How to apply
Complete the following steps to apply under the Pension Loans Scheme (PLS). Before you start, check if you're eligible.
You can apply for a top-up of your pension as a loan if you own real estate in Australia.
Steps to apply under the Pension Loans Scheme
1. Get ready to apply
The easiest way to apply is online.
To apply online, you need a myGov account linked to Centrelink. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to set them up.
If you’re under Age Pension age, you need to qualify for Carer Payment or Disability Support Pension to qualify for PLS. If you don’t already get one of these payments, you need to apply for one before you apply for PLS.
You may need to prove your identity with us before you start your application. If you have a partner, they may also need to prove their identity before you can submit your application.
If you can’t apply online, you can download and complete one of these forms:
- if you’re single, use the Pension Loan Scheme single application form
- download and complete the Pension Loans Scheme application form.
If you can't access a form either:
2. Get your documents ready to apply
You’ll need to get some supporting documents ready to help answer some of the questions in the application.
- Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink.
- Select Payments and Claims from the menu, then Claims, then Make a claim.
- Under Older Australians select Get started.
- Select Apply for a loan under the Pension Loans Scheme.
- Answer all the questions. Each screen has information to help you complete the application. This includes how to submit your supporting documents and any other forms.
- Submit your application.
When you're ready:
4. Track your application
After you submit your application online, you’ll get a receipt telling you:
- the ID number of your application
- the date we estimate we’ll complete your application
- a link to track its progress.
If you don't get electronic letters, we'll send you a letter in the mail.
We’ll ask you for more details if we need them.
If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.
To do your business with us, create a myGov account and link it to Centrelink.
Your options and obligations for the Pension Loans Scheme.
Page last updated: 20 September 2021
This information was printed 20 September 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/pension-loans-scheme/how-apply. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.