Steps to apply under the Home Equity Access Scheme
1. Get ready to apply
The easiest way to apply is online.
To apply online, you need a Centrelink online account linked to myGov. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to set them up.
If you’re under Age Pension age, you need to qualify for Carer Payment or Disability Support Pension to qualify for the Home Equity Access Scheme. If you don’t already get one of these payments, you need to apply for one before you apply for the Home Equity Access Scheme.
You’ll need to get some supporting documents ready to help answer some of the questions in the application.
You may need to prove your identity with us before you start your application. If you have a partner, they may also need to prove their identity before you can submit your application.
2. Make your claim
If you can apply online
If your Centrelink account is linked to myGov you can claim online.
To do this:
- Sign in to myGov.
- Select Make a claim or view claim status, then Make a claim.
- Under Older Australians select Get started.
- Select Apply for a loan under the Home Equity Access Scheme and follow the prompts to complete your claim.
If you can’t apply online
If you can’t apply online, you can download and complete one of these forms:
- if you’re single, use the Home Equity Access Scheme single application form
- if you have a partner, use the Home Equity Access Scheme application form.
If you can’t access a form either:
- call us on the Older Australians line
- go to a service centre.
3. Track your application
After you submit your application online, you’ll get a receipt telling you:
- the ID number of your application
- the date we estimate we’ll complete your application
- a link to track its progress.
To track the progress of your application online, sign in to myGov and select Make a claim or view claim status.
You can also use the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.
If you don’t get electronic letters, we’ll send you a letter in the mail.
We’ll ask you for more details if we need them.
If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.
To do your business with us, create a myGov account and link it to Centrelink.