You can apply for a top-up of your pension as a loan if you own real estate in Australia.
Before 1 January 2022, the scheme was called the Pension Loans Scheme.
Steps to apply under the Home Equity Access Scheme
1. Get ready to apply
The easiest way to apply is online.
To apply online, you need a myGov account linked to Centrelink. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to set them up.
If you’re under Age Pension age, you need to qualify for Carer Payment or Disability Support Pension to qualify for the Home Equity Access Scheme. If you don’t already get one of these payments, you need to apply for one before you apply for the Home Equity Access Scheme.
You may need to prove your identity with us before you start your application. If you have a partner, they may also need to prove their identity before you can submit your application.
If you can’t apply online, you can download and complete one of these forms:
- if you’re single, use the Pension Loan Scheme single application form
- download and complete the Pension Loans Scheme application form.
If you can't access a form either:
2. Get your documents ready to apply
You’ll need to get some supporting documents ready to help answer some of the questions in the application.
- Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink.
- Select Payments and Claims from the menu, then Claims, then Make a claim.
- Under Older Australians select Get started.
- Select Apply for a loan under the Pension Loans Scheme (now known as Home Equity Access Scheme).
- Answer all the questions. Each screen has information to help you complete the application. This includes how to submit your supporting documents and any other forms.
- Submit your application.
When you're ready:
4. Track your application
After you submit your application online, you’ll get a receipt telling you:
- the ID number of your application
- the date we estimate we’ll complete your application
- a link to track its progress.
If you don't get electronic letters, we'll send you a letter in the mail.
We’ll ask you for more details if we need them.
If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.
To do your business with us, create a myGov account and link it to Centrelink.