Steps to apply under the Home Equity Access Scheme
1. Get ready to apply
The easiest way to apply is online.
To apply online, you need a Centrelink online account linked to myGov. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to set them up.
To be eligible, you or your partner must be Age Pension age on the date you claim.
If you’re under Age Pension age, you need to meet both of the following:
- your partner is Age Pension age
- you’re eligible for Carer Payment or Disability Support Pension.
If you don’t already get one of these payments, you need to apply for one before you apply for the Home Equity Access Scheme.
You’ll need to get some supporting documents ready to help answer some of the questions in the application.
You may need to prove your identity with us before you start your application. If you have a partner, they may also need to prove their identity before you can submit your application.
If you have a nominee who has legal authority to manage your real estate and finances, they can apply for the Scheme on your behalf.
If you need help claiming, you can call us on the Older Australians line.
If you’re a veteran, you can learn how to apply for the Home Equity Access Scheme on the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) website.
2. Make your claim
If you can apply online
If your Centrelink account is linked to myGov you can claim online.
To do this:
- Sign in to myGov.
- Select Make a claim or view claim status, then Make a claim.
- Under Older Australians select Get started.
- Select Apply for a loan under the Home Equity Access Scheme and follow the prompts to complete your claim.
If you can’t apply online
If you or your nominee can’t apply online, you can download and complete one of these forms:
- if you’re single, use the Home Equity Access Scheme single application form
- if you have a partner, use the Home Equity Access Scheme application form.
If you or your nominee can’t access a form either:
3. Track your application
After you or your nominee submit your application online, you’ll get a receipt telling you:
- the ID number of your application
- the date we estimate we’ll complete your application
- a link to track its progress.
To track the progress of your application online, sign in to myGov and select Make a claim or view claim status.
You or your nominee can also use the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.
If you or your nominee don’t get electronic letters, we’ll send you a letter in the mail.
We’ll ask you or your nominee for more details if we need them.
If you or your nominee think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.
To do your business with us, create a myGov account and link it to Centrelink.