How to claim
Complete the following steps to claim a Low Income Health Care Card. Before you start, check if you can get it.
Steps to claim Low Income Health Care Card
1. Get ready to claim
The easiest way to claim is online. If you have a correspondence nominee they can also claim for you online.
To claim online, you need a myGov account linked to Centrelink. If you have a nominee they also need to have their own account.
If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to set them up.You may need to confirm your identity with us before you start your claim.
If you can’t claim online either:
If you have a partner who is eligible, they’ll need to submit their own online claim. Or, you can both claim on the same paper claim form.
- print and complete the Claim for a Health Care Card form
- call us on the Low Income Health Care Card line
- go to a service centre.
2. Get your documents ready to claim
You’ll need to get some supporting documents ready to help answer some of the questions in the claim.
3. Make your claim
- Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink.
- Select Payments and Claims from the menu, then Claims, then Make a claim.
- Under Concession Cards, select Get started.
- Answer all the questions. Each screen has information to help you complete the claim. This includes how to submit your supporting documents.
- Submit your claim.
When you're ready:
4. Track your claim
After you submit your claim online, you’ll get a receipt telling you:
- your claim was submitted
- the ID number of your claim
- the date we estimate your claim will be complete
- a link to track its progress.
We’ll also let you know the result of your claim. We'll send a letter to your:
If you don't get electronic letters, we'll send you a letter in the mail.
If we need more details we’ll ask you for them.
If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.
To do your business with us, create a myGov account and link to Centrelink.
When you claim, we’ll ask you for some documents to support your claim for a payment or service.
If you disagree with a decision we've made, you have the right to ask us to review our decision.
Page last updated: 19 February 2020
This information was printed 6 July 2020 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/low-income-health-care-card/how-claim. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.