Supporting documents

When you claim, we’ll ask you for some documents to support your claim for a payment or service.

What documents you need

As you complete your claim we’ll ask you to provide us with certain documents or information. We’ll tell you in the claim which documents you need to give to us. These show as required in your claim.

You’ll need to provide these documents before you can submit your claim. Having them ready will help you finish your claim and not delay the process. Call us if you're unsure which documents you need to give us.

Other documents you may need

You may need to give us other documents. These show in the claim as supplementary. You’ll have 14 days after you submit your claim to submit these.

We may ask you for more information as we work through your claim and assess your circumstances. If this happens, we’ll put your claim on hold as we wait for these documents. You need to provide them within 14 days of our request or we could reject your claim. 

What common documents are

We've listed the documents and information we usually ask for. You may not need all of them. Your parents, your guardian or your partner may also need to provide some of these documents to support your claim.

Documents Details

Documents you may need, include:

  • tax file number
  • bank account details
  • savings, term deposits, mortgage offsets or overseas account details
  • investments
  • insurance agreements
  • income and assets, including real estate assets
  • superannuation.

Documents you may need, include:

  • planned and previous course details
  • scholarship details
  • enrolment details or fee receipts
  • course acceptance notices
  • academic transcripts.

Documents you may need, include:

  • income tax returns
  • employer separation certificates
  • PAYG certificates
  • payslips
  • profit and loss statements
  • Taxation Notices of Assessment (NOA), if self employed.

You may able to get some documents through your ATO online account. Read more about what you can do in your ATO online account, on the ATO website.

Living arrangements

You need to give us proof of your rental arrangements for:

  • Austudy
  • Farm Household Allowance
  • JobSeeker Payment
  • Parenting Payment
  • Special Benefit
  • Youth Allowance.

Documents you may need, include:

  • housing, rental property or real estate details
  • rent certificate,if you pay rent to your parents they’ll need to sign a statutory declaration, signed and declared true before an authorised witness
  • student or campus accommodation
  • proof of assets ownership documents
  • rates notices
  • living away from home.

Documents you may need, include:

  • parent or guardian details, including work and income details
  • partner details, including citizenship, study, work and income details
  • separation details.
Residence details if you’ve lived outside Australia

Documents you may need, include:

  • visa information
  • the date you and your partner became Australian citizens
  • the dates you and your partner lived in other countries.
Child care

Documents you may need, include:

  • newborn child claim proof of birth forms
  • birth certificates
  • adoption or surrogacy agreements
  • child care receipts
  • change of care documents.

Documents you may need, include:

  • Health Care Card claims
  • medical reports
  • Centrelink medical certificates
  • doctor issued medical certificates.

How to submit your documents

You can upload documents in your Centrelink online account or the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app. Read more about how to submit your Centrelink documents online.

You can also give them to us by mail, fax, or by visiting a service centre.

Page last updated: 26 November 2020