How to claim if you're in Australia

The steps to claim under a social security agreement if you’re claiming when you’re in Australia.

Find information about agreements in your language.

Steps to claim an Australian payment

Complete the following steps to claim Australian payments when you’re in Australia. Before you start, check if you can get a payment.


    1. Get ready to claim

    The easiest way to claim is online.

    To claim online, you need a Centrelink online account linked to myGov. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to set them up.

    You’ll need to get some supporting documents ready to help answer some of the questions in the claim.

    You may need to prove your identity with us before you start your claim. If you have a partner, they may also need to prove their identity.


    2. Make your claim

    If you can claim online

    If your Centrelink online account is linked to myGov, sign in and select Make a claim or view claim status to make a claim.

    Sign in to myGov

    If you can’t claim online

    If you can’t claim online, talk to us. Our staff will ask you some questions and help you with your claim. You can either:


    3. Track your claim

    After you submit your claim online, you’ll get a receipt telling you all of the following:

    • the ID number of your claim
    • an estimated completion date
    • a link to track its progress.

    To track the progress of your application online, sign in to myGov and select Make a claim or view claim status.

    Sign in to myGov

    You can also use the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.

    We’ll let you know the result of your application. We’ll send a message to your myGov Inbox.

    If you don't get electronic letters, we'll send you a letter in the mail.

    If we need more details we’ll ask you for them.

    If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.

Claim a payment from another country

If you’re in Australia, you can claim a payment from another country.

You can claim by either:

Page last updated: 28 September 2023.
QC 49921