Change of circumstances
You need to tell us about any changes to your circumstances when you hold a Health Care Card.
What to tell us
You have 14 days to tell us if any of the following happen:
- your personal circumstances change, for example if you become partnered or separated
- your care arrangements change
- your work or study load changes
- your income goes up
- you start or return to work
- you change your address.
If you stop getting your payment, we’ll cancel your Health Care Card.
If you return to work, you can keep your card for up to 6 months. But you must have got a payment from us for 1 year or more. Read more about returning to work.
How to tell us
You can tell us about a change to your circumstances using one of these self service options:
- your Centrelink online account through myGov
- the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app
- Centrelink phone self service.
Read more about what you can do using self service.
If you don’t have access to a self service option please call your main payment line.
Page last updated: 12 December 2019
This information was printed 26 May 2020 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/health-care-card/how-manage-your-card/change-circumstances. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.