Change of circumstances
You need to tell us when your circumstances change when you get Family Tax Benefit.
What to tell us
You need to tell us if any of the following things change:
- your name
- your address
- the amount of rent you pay
- your or your partner’s income
- your child starts or stops full time secondary study from the day they turn 16
- you or your child are leaving the country, temporarily or to live somewhere else
- you or your partner don’t have to lodge a tax return.
You can do this using one of these self service options:
Read more about what you can do using self service.
If you don’t have access to a self service option, please call the families line.
There are some changes you can’t tell us using a self service option. You need to call the families line to tell us about changes to the following things:
- your relationship status, for example if you become partnered or separated
- your child’s care arrangements – the amount of time a child is in your care changes or your child leaves your care
- your child dies
- your child is in a prison or juvenile justice centre as a result of a court order
- your child is leaving the country, temporarily or to live somewhere else alone.
It’s important to tell us if you change your legal name.
To change or correct your legal name, we’ll need:
- an original document issued by a state or territory Births, Deaths and Marriages registry
- your consent to verify the document.
You need to bring your document to a service centre so we can update our records.
You can find your state or territory Births, deaths and marriage registry on the Australia.gov.au website.
When to tell us
You need to tell us about a change in your circumstances before your next Family Tax Benefit payment is due. If you don’t, we may pay you too much and you may have to pay back the money.
Page last updated: 6 January 2021
This information was printed 7 October 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/family-tax-benefit/what-can-affect-your-payment/change-circumstances. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.