If you’re getting Disability Support Pension (DSP), we may do a review to check you still meet medical rules.
Why we conduct reviews
We do medical reviews for a range of reasons.
If you’ve been on DSP for a while, we may need to check both of the following:
- we’ve got current details about the impact of your disability or medical condition
- you meet the current medical rules for DSP.
The rules for DSP have changed over time, including new Impairment Tables in 2012.
Read more about the Impairment Tables on the Department of Social Services website.
When we’ll contact you
If you’re selected for a medical review, we’ll write to you to let you know:
- the review date
- what you'll need to do.
You’ll need to give us information for the review. This may include:
- a review form with a report from your treating health professional
- current medical evidence for your condition.
We may also need to contact your treating health professional. Before we do, you’ll need to give your consent by completing the consent to disclose medical information form.
Call us before your review date if you:
- need help filling out the review form
- are having trouble getting current medical evidence
- won’t be able to return the review form or current medical evidence by the due date
- aren't sure what information you need to give us.
We may give you more time to give us these details.
Your payment may stop if you don’t either give us the information or contact us to discuss it.
What happens at the review
We may ask you to attend a Job Capacity Assessment. This includes assessment of your conditions under the current Impairment Tables.
This helps us understand all of the following:
- how your condition affects you now
- your ability to work
- any help you may need to get a job.
What happens after the review
We’ll write to you with the outcome of your review.
If you’re no longer eligible for DSP, you may be able to get other support. You can use our Payment and Service Finder to see what support may be suitable for you.
Page last updated: 28 September 2020
This information was printed 27 November 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/disability-support-pension/how-manage-your-payment/reviews/medical-reviews. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.