Travel outside Australia

There are rules about whether your Dad and Partner Pay can be paid when you travel outside Australia.

What the rules are

If you leave Australia to live in another country, your payment will stop on departure.

If you leave Australia on a temporary basis, you’ll continue to get your full instalment if you remain qualified. But 1 of the following must apply. You:

We may pay you outside Australia if you hold 1 of the following visas:

  • a Partner Provisional visa subclass 309 or visa subclass 820
  • a Safe Haven Enterprise visa subclass 790
  • a Temporary Protection visa subclass 785 issued on or after 16 December 2014.

You must also be overseas for 1 of the following approved reasons:

  • to attend an acute family crisis – for example to visit a family member who is critically ill
  • for humanitarian reasons – for example to adopt a child or attend custody proceedings
  • to get eligible medical treatment that is not available in Australia.

We can’t pay most temporary protection type visa holders Dad and Partner Pay outside Australia for any reason.

If you leave Australia and your Dad and Partner Pay stops, we can’t restart it when you return to Australia. This is even if it stops for 1 day.

When to tell us about your travel

You should tell us if you're leaving Australia for any of the following reasons. You:

  • are going to live in another country
  • will be away for more than 6 weeks
  • have not been back in Australia for 6 weeks since your last return
  • hold a partner provisional visa or temporary protection type visa.

Otherwise you do not need to tell us that you’re leaving Australia. Australia's immigration department will advise us when you leave Australia and when you return.

The easiest way to tell us about your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov. You can get information on how your travel could affect your payments and concession cards. You may need to call the Families line to discuss your circumstances further.

Read about payments while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 4 December 2020