How to claim
Complete the following steps to claim Dad and Partner Pay. Before you start, check if you can get it.
There are changes to the work test for Dad and Partner Pay. If we rejected your pre-birth claim because you didn’t meet the work test, you may be able to claim again. You can do this if all the following apply:
- your child’s expected date of birth or adoption was before 1 January 2020 in your pre-birth claim
- your child’s actual birth or adoption date is on or after 1 January 2020
- you think you’ll meet the requirements of the work test from 1 January 2020.
Steps to claim Dad and Partner Pay
1. Get ready to claim
The easiest way to claim is online. You need to nominate a start date no more than 50 weeks after your child’s birth or adoption. Read more about when to claim.
To claim online, you need a myGov account linked to Centrelink. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to set them up.You may need to confirm your identity with us before you start your claim.
If you can’t claim online either:
2. Get your documents ready to claim
You’ll need to get some supporting documents ready to help answer some of the questions in the claim.
3. Make your claim
- Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink.
- Select Payments and Claims from the menu, then Claims, then Make a claim.
- Under Families, select Get started.
- Select Apply for Family Assistance (including Paid Parental Leave).
- Answer all the questions. Each screen has information to help you complete the claim. This includes how to submit your supporting documents.
- Submit your claim.
When you're ready:
4. Track your claim
After you submit your claim online, you’ll get a receipt telling you:
- the ID number of your claim
- the date we estimate your claim will be complete
- a link to track its progress.
We’ll also let you know the result of your claim. We'll send a letter to either your:
If you don't get electronic letters, we'll send you a letter in the mail.
Your letter will show Approved, Rejected or Assessed. Assessed means you claimed before the birth or adoption of your child. I You need to submit your child’s proof of birth or proof of adoption when you first start caring for them.
If we need more details we’ll ask you for them.
If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.
The best time to apply for Dad and Partner Pay is before the birth or adoption of your child.
To do your business with us, create a myGov account and link to Centrelink.
You need to give us proof of your child’s birth or adoption before we can finalise your claim for Parental Leave Pay, Family Tax Benefit or Dad and Partner Pay.
Page last updated: 12 March 2020
This information was printed 23 May 2020 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/dad-and-partner-pay/how-claim. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.