Who can get it

To get this Crisis Payment you must meet the eligibility criteria.

You must:

Don’t forget to protect yourself when claiming.

Living situations

Left your home

You’ve left your home for your safety and it is unreasonable for you to return. You must also either:

  • have established a new home
  • intend to establish a new home.

Staying in your home

You were living with the family member responsible and you’re staying in your home. The family member must have left the home, or been removed from the home.

A family member is a:

  • partner
  • parent or guardian
  • child
  • sibling
  • grandparent.

Removed from your home

You left or were removed from your home and legally prevented from returning. You may be legally prevented from returning if you’ve been given either:

  • an Apprehended Violence Order
  • a Court Order
  • another official document.

You must also have either established a new home or intend to establish a new home.

Contact us

To get this payment you must contact us within 7 days of either:

  • deciding that you can’t return home
  • the family member leaving or someone removing them
  • being legally prevented from returning home.

We consider you to have made contact if you do 1 of these to get a payment or concession card:

  • begin a claim using your Centrelink Online account
  • on your regular payment line
  • visit a service centre.

After contacting us, you must submit your claim within 14 days.

Page last updated: 27 July 2020