Your child’s living arrangements will determine which allowance or supplement you get.
You need to meet eligibility criteria to get an allowance or supplement. Your child’s living arrangements will determine which allowance or supplement you get.
Check you’re eligible before you claim. We’ll assess your claim, then tell you which payment you’re eligible for and how much you’ll get.
This allowance can help your family with the cost of your child boarding away from home to go to school. It includes:
- Basic Boarding Allowance, and
- Additional Boarding Allowance
You can get Boarding Allowance for your child if you meet eligibility criteria and your child boards at a school, hostel or privately.
You may also get Additional Boarding Allowance, which is means tested. We also consider your child’s boarding fees.
Boarding payments during coronavirus (COVID-19)
We’ll keep paying Basic Boarding Allowance and Additional Boarding Allowance in term 2 and 3. But all of these must apply:
- we approved you for boarding entitlements in term 1
- your board provider holds a board place for you
- you intend to return to board as soon as possible
- your school or boarding school continues to support you study remotely using other methods such as online.
Tell us if any of the following happen:
- you enrol in another school
- you change your boarding place for term 2 or term 3
- if there are any other changes to your study.
You must let us know if anything changes so you don’t get overpaid. You can do this by calling the Assistance for Isolated Children line.
This allowance can help your family with the cost of your child studying an approved course from home.
You can get Distance Education Allowance for your child if:
- you meet eligibility criteria
- your child is living at home, and:
- doing approved home schooling
- doing approved distance education, or
- going to a Northern Territory Homeland Education Centre
This allowance can help you or your family with the cost of maintaining a second home so your children can go to a local school. You can get the allowance for up to 3 children. You must lodge a claim for each child.
You can get this allowance if:
- you meet eligibility criteria
- the main purpose of you maintaining a second home is to make it easier for the child you’re claiming for to go to school, and
- the principal family home is:
- the family’s usual place of residence, with at least one parent or guardian living there for more than half the time they’re getting the allowance
- where the child you’re claiming for usually spends school holidays
To us, it’s not your second home if:
- you’re separated or divorced and one parent is living with the child in that home
- you, your partner or a dependent child get Rent Assistance for the home, or
- you got a First Home Owner Grant, stamp-duty concession or similar assistance when you bought the home
- you or your partner aren’t responsible for the cost of maintaining the home
The child can be in the care of another person in the second home.
You can get Assistance for Isolated Children Pensioner Education Supplement for your child if:
- you meet eligibility criteria, and
- the child is studying at primary or an ungraded level of study, and they:
- get Disability Support Pension or Parenting Payment (single)
- board away from home
- live in a second home so they can go to a local school, or
- study by distance education or do approved home schooling
If you get Assistance for Isolated Children Pensioner Education Supplement you can’t get any other allowance under the scheme for the child.
You can get this payment until your child turns 21, as long as you’re still eligible.
Page last updated: 30 June 2020
This information was printed 6 July 2020 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/assistance-for-isolated-children-scheme/what-payment-you-can-get-and-how-much/payment-types. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.