Getting an assessment for residential aged care

We assess your income and assets to work out if you can get help with residential aged care.

How it works

We assess your income and assets details to work out both of the following:

  • if you can get help to pay for aged care
  • how much you need to pay as your means tested care fee.

We do this either:

  • before you move into permanent residential aged care
  • from the day you start living there.

Read about aged care homes costs and fees on the My Aged Care website.

Who needs an assessment

You need an income and asset assessment if you want help with the costs of residential care.

You need to apply for an assessment for residential care if either:

  • you’re a self funded retiree
  • you own your own home and get a means tested income support payment.

You also need to apply for a means assessment if you get 1 of the following payments:

  • Age Pension (Blind)
  • Disability Support Pension (Blind)
  • Carer Allowance
  • Mobility Allowance
  • Disability Pension or War Widow’s Pension without Income Support Supplement.

When to get an assessment

You can apply before or after you go into residential care.

If you apply before, you can use the result of your means test for up to 120 days. But you’ll need to let us know if your income, assets or anything else important changes.

How to get an assessment

Tell us your details using the Aged Care Calculation of your cost of care form (SA486).

Complete the form and send it to us with your supporting documents. We can then complete your assessment.

We’ll write to you when we finish your assessment. We’ll let you know how much you need to pay as your means tested care fee.

Page last updated: 28 June 2021