Financial hardship assistance with your Home Care Package

You may be able to get help from us if you're having trouble paying for your Home Care Package.

How it works

If we agree you’re in hardship we can do the following:

  • ask your aged care provider to reduce or pause your fees for a short time, or
  • pay some or all of your fees for a short time.

Who can apply

You can apply to get hardship assistance if:

  • you started a Home Care Package after 1 July 2014
  • you haven’t gifted more than $10,000 in the last 12 months or $30,000 in the last 5 years
  • the assets you can sell or borrow are under the allowable threshold.

How to apply

Fill in the Financial hardship assistance for Home Care and Residential Respite Care form.

Return the form to us with your supporting documents. The address is on the form.

You should apply as soon as you start having problems paying your fees. We can sometimes backdate help if you have special circumstances.

We’ll let you and your aged care provider know:

  • if we agree to give you hardship assistance
  • how long it’ll last.

When it starts and ends

If we agree to give you financial assistance, it starts from the day we get your application.

Normally we agree to help for up to 12 months.

How long you can get help for depends on your situation. We decide this when you apply.

If you still need help you can apply again. It’s best if you do this before your current help ends. If not, you’ll have to pay your fees while we’re checking your application.

Read about financial hardship assistance and help to get you the care you need on the My Aged Care website.

Page last updated: 11 July 2019