We check if you can get Rent Assistance each time you claim certain payments from us.
If you already get a payment from us, we’ll check if you’re eligible for Rent Assistance when you tell us:
- you’ve changed your address
- your accommodation details have changed.
Steps to get Rent Assistance
1. Checking if you can get Rent Assistance
If you don’t already get a payment from us
If you make a new claim for certain payments from us, you don’t need to do anything.
We’ll check if you can get Rent Assistance as part of your claim.
If you’ve got a formal tenancy agreement, we’ll ask you to provide a copy as part of your claim.
If you don’t have a formal tenancy agreement, if your claim is granted, we’ll post you a Rent Certificate. You’ll need to complete it and return it to us.
We use these documents to confirm how much rent you pay.
If you already get a payment from us
Update your address and accommodation details online. We will check if you can get Rent Assistance.
The easiest way to confirm changes to where you live is online.
- Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink.
- Select My Details.
- Select either Update address details, Update contact details or Update accommodation details as required.
- Once you’ve updated your details we’ll give you a summary of the updates. Read the information and make sure it’s correct.
- If all the details are correct, read the declaration. If you understand and agree with the declaration, select I accept this declaration then select Submit.
When you’re ready:
If you can’t do it online you can either:
2. Providing proof of your rent arrangements
We may ask you to give us proof of your rent arrangements to get Rent Assistance.
If we ask you to complete a Rent Certificate or give us a formal tenancy agreement, you can submit them:
You only need to complete a Rent Certificate if we ask you to. We’ll post it to you.
You can also request it in your Centrelink online account 48 hours after either of the following:
- your claim has been granted
- you update your address and accommodation details.
Read more about how to request a document.
3. Wait for the results
If you’ve submitted a claim for a payment online, you can track the progress of the claim.
We’ll let you know the outcome of the claim. We’ll also tell you if we pay you Rent Assistance.
We’ll send a message to your myGov Inbox.
If you don’t get electronic letters, we’ll send you a letter in the mail.
If we need more details we’ll ask you for them.
If you already get a payment from us, we’ll write to you about any changes to the amount of your payment. This includes any increase or decrease to Rent Assistance.
If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.