How to claim

Check if you’re eligible before you start your claim. If you get Family Tax Benefit, you don’t need to claim Single Income Family Supplement (SIFS).

To be eligible for this payment, you must have been eligible on 30 June 2017 and stayed eligible since. Read more about who can get this.

If you’re eligible we’ll pay you after you and your partner either:

  • lodge a tax return with the Australian Tax Office (ATO)
  • tell us you don’t need to lodge and confirm your income with us.

If you don’t get Family Tax Benefit you may still be eligible for SIFS. You can submit a claim for SIFS after the end of the financial year.

Steps to claim Single Income Family Supplement


    1. Get ready to claim

    The easiest way to claim is online.

    You’ll need to submit your claim and confirm your income within 12 months after the end of the financial year.

    Read more about time frames for submitting lump sum claims and confirming income.

    To claim online, you need a Centrelink online account linked to myGov. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to set them up.

    You may need to prove your identity with us before you start your claim.


    2. Get your documents ready to claim

    We may ask you for supporting documents to help us assess your claim.

    You must submit supporting documents within 14 days.

    We may reject your claim if you don’t.


    3. Make your claim

    If you can claim online

    If your Centrelink account is linked to myGov you can apply online.

    To do this:

    1. Sign in to myGov.
    2. Select Make a claim or view claim status, then select Make a claim.
    3. Under Families, select Get started.
    4. Select Apply for Family Assistance (including Paid Parental Leave) then follow the prompts to complete your claim.

    Sign in to myGov

    If you can’t claim online

    If you’re unable to claim online, please call the Families line.


    4. After you claim

    We’ll let you know the result of your application. We’ll send a message to your myGov Inbox.

    If you don’t get electronic letters, we’ll send you a letter in the mail.

    If we need more details we’ll ask you for them.

    If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.

Page last updated: 3 November 2023.
QC 43741