You can apply for the maximum 18 weeks of Parental Leave Pay. You need to do this no more than 40 weeks after the birth or adoption of your child.
The best time to apply is before the birth or adoption of your child. Read more about when to claim.
We can’t pay you before the birth or adoption of your child. Before your payments can start, you need to:
Steps to claim Parental Leave Pay
1. Talk to your employer
Talk to your employer at least 10 weeks before your child's expected date of birth or adoption. Negotiate your leave and tell them if you want to claim Parental Leave Pay.
Your employer needs to register with us and read the Parental Leave Pay information for employers.
2. Get ready to claim
The easiest way to claim is online. To claim online, you need a myGov account linked to Centrelink. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to set them up.
You may need to prove your identity with us before you start your claim.
If you can’t claim online either:
- print and complete the Claim for Paid Parental Leave and Family Assistance form
- call us on the Families line
- go to a service centre.
3. Get your documents ready
You’ll need to get some supporting documents ready to help answer some of the questions in the claim.
4. Make your claim
- Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink.
- Select Payment and Claims from the menu, then Claims, then Make a claim.
- Under Families, select Get started.
- Select Apply for Family Assistance (including Paid Parental Leave).
- Answer all the questions. Each screen has information to help you complete the claim. This includes how to submit your supporting documents.
- Submit your claim.
When you're ready:
5. Track your claim
After you submit your claim online, you’ll get a receipt telling you:
- the ID number of your claim
- the date we estimate your claim will be complete
- a link to track its progress.
We’ll let you know the result of your application. We’ll send a message to your myGov Inbox.
If you don't get electronic letters, we'll send you a letter in the mail.
If we need more details we’ll ask you for them.
In most cases your employer will pay into your bank account. Otherwise we’ll pay you directly.
If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.
It’s best to claim Parental Leave Pay before your child's birth or adoption. You need to claim within 1 year of their birth or adoption.
To do your business with us, create a myGov account and link it to Centrelink.
You’ll need to give us certain information before and after your child’s birth or adoption.
You need to give us proof of your child’s birth or adoption before we can finalise your claim for Parental Leave Pay or Family Tax Benefit.
If you don’t understand or agree with a decision we’ve made, you can ask for an explanation or apply for a formal review.