How to claim

You need to complete a form to claim Carer Adjustment Payment.

Steps to claim Carer Adjustment Payment


    1. Get ready to claim

    You should:

    If you don’t have access to a printer, you can either:


    2. Get your documents ready

    As you fill out your claim form, you’ll need to provide some supporting documents. This can include:

    • doctors reports
    • bank statements showing costs you’ve incurred due to the event and caring duties
    • tax returns
    • letters from your employer regarding any changed working arrangements due to your caring responsibilities
    • proof of identification documents
    • proof of need for financial help.

    This will help in assessing your claim.


    3. Submit your claim

    If your Centrelink online account is linked to myGov, sign in now to submit your form and documents.

    Sign in to myGov

    You can also submit them:


    4. Wait for the result

    The Department of Social Services will assess your claim on a case-by-case basis.

    We’ll tell you in writing:

    • if you can get it
    • how much you’ll get.

Reviewing the decision

If you don’t agree with the decision about your claim you can ask for it to be reviewed.

You must ask for the decision to be reviewed in writing. Your statement or letter needs to be supported with evidence about how the event has affected your family. You can submit your request and supporting evidence using any of the following options:

Page last updated: 10 July 2023.
QC 51567