Steps to claim Carer Adjustment Payment
1. Get ready to claim
- check if you can get it
- make sure it’s less than 2 years since the date your child’s condition was first diagnosed
- print and fill in the Carer Adjustment Payment claim form.
If you don’t have access to a printer, you can either:
2. Get your documents ready
As you fill out your claim form, you’ll need to provide some supporting documents. This can include:
- doctors reports
- bank statements showing costs you’ve incurred due to the event and caring duties
- tax returns
- letters from your employer regarding any changed working arrangements due to your caring responsibilities
- proof of identification documents
- proof of need for financial help.
This will help in assessing your claim.
4. Wait for the result
The Department of Social Services will assess your claim on a case-by-case basis.
We’ll tell you in writing:
- if you can get it
- how much you’ll get.
Reviewing the decision
If you don’t agree with the decision about your claim you can ask for it to be reviewed.
You must ask for the decision to be reviewed in writing. Your statement or letter needs to be supported with evidence about how the event has affected your family. You can submit your request and supporting evidence using any of the following options: