How to claim

Complete the following steps to claim Assistance for Isolated Children. Before you start, check if you can get it.

Steps to claim Assistance for Isolated Children


    1. Get ready to claim

    The easiest way to claim is to download a claim form and submit it online.

    If your Centrelink online account is linked to myGov, you can upload your form online.

    Sign in to myGov

    If you have a nominee they also need to have their own account. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to create them.

    You may need to confirm your identity with us before you start your claim.

    Who can claim

    You can claim Assistance for Isolated Children if you have primary or joint care for the child you’re claiming for.

    In some cases, we’ll accept a claim if:

    • the child lives with, or is in the care of, a foster parent
    • the child is in the care of a non-government organisation that has full financial responsibility for them.

    Only 1 parent or guardian can claim.

    You need to submit a claim for each child in your care.

    Who can’t claim

    You can’t claim if you’re:

    • the actual child going to school
    • in prison, or a correctional centre.

    A prison or correctional centre may include:

    • detention
    • a remand or training centre
    • a psychiatric institution.

    2. Get your documents ready

    You’ll need to get some supporting documents ready. You may need to send some to us as evidence to support your claim. Others will help you answer some of the questions in the claim.  Documents you might need include:

    • your tax file number
    • additional information or evidence requested on the claim form.

    Marginal Distance Confirmation

    If we ask you for evidence about distance or travelling time, complete the Assistance for Isolated Children Marginal Distance Confirmation form.

    Complete this form with the person verifying the distances or travelling times.

    Medical Statement–Student Special Needs

    If you’re claiming for a child with special needs, you will need to provide evidence from a medical practitioner. Download the Assistance for Isolated Children Medical Statement – Student Special Needs form.

    Complete this form with your doctor or specialist and submit it with your claim if possible.

    Application for Short Term Boarding Allowance

    If you already get Assistance for Isolated Children Boarding Allowance you can claim Short Term Boarding Allowance for additional boarding periods during the same year.

    Submit the Assistance for Isolated Children (AIC) Application for Short Term Boarding Allowance form.


    3. Submit your claim

    If you’re claiming for 2023 you can submit a claim before, during or after that school year. You need to submit a claim for 2023 by 1 March 2024.

    Download and complete the Assistance for Isolated Children (AIC) Claim form. Then submit it online.

    If you can't submit it online you can print and complete a claim form. Submit it and any supporting documents either:

    • in person at a service centre
    • by posting them to the address on the claim form.

    Please make sure your name is on your supporting documents so we can identify them.


    4. Wait for the results

    We'll tell you:

    • if your claim is successful
    • when we'll start paying you
    • how much you'll get.

    We’ll backdate your payment to when you first became eligible in the study year.

    If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.

Page last updated: 8 May 2023.
QC 42706

Try our new dark mode

We're testing a darker colour scheme. Try it and let us know what you think.