How to apply

You need to complete a form to apply for a Carer Adjustment Payment.

  1. Visiting a service centre

    Get ready ready to apply

    You should:

    If you don’t have access to a printer, you can either:

  2. Gather Documents

    Get your documents ready

    As you fill out your claim form, we may ask you to give us documents to support your claim. For example, it may ask for:

    • medical reports
    • bank statements
    • tax returns
    • letters from your employer
    • proof of need for financial help.

    These will help us assess your claim, including original documents to prove your identity.


    Submit your claim

    Submit your form and documents using 1 of the following ways:

    • online, using your Centrelink online account through myGov
    • by post - the address is on the form
    • at a service centre.

    Wait for the result

    A senior officer in the Department of Social Services will decide if you can get this payment.

    We’ll tell you in writing both:

    • if you can get it
    • how much you’ll get.

    If you don’t agree with the decision you can ask us to review it.

Page last updated: 17 November 2022