A Special Disability Trust must do all of the following:
- have only one principal beneficiary (the person for whom the trust is established), who must meet the eligibility criteria
- provide for the accommodation and care needs of the principal beneficiary
- have a trust deed that contains the clauses as set out in the model trust deed
- have an independent trustee, or alternatively have more than one trustee
- comply with the investment restrictions
- provide annual financial statements and
- conduct independent audits when required.