How gifting can affect your payment

If you or your partner gift money, income or assets, we may assess it in your income and assets tests.

Before you or your partner make a gift, contact us to check if it will change your payment. You should call your regular payment line.

We also have a free Financial Information Service to help you make informed decisions about your finances.

We assess your gifts to see both:

You can choose to give away any amount. If you go over the value of the gifting free area, it will affect your payment.

Any gifts you made in the past 5 years may be included in your income and assets tests.

If you aren’t required to report your income to us regularly, you must tell us about any gifts within 14 days.

If you do report regularly, you must tell us on or before your reporting date, of the period when the gift happens.

If you don’t, we may overpay you.

If your Centrelink online account is linked to myGov, sign in now to report gifts, sales or transfers.

Sign in to myGov

You can also do this by either:

Page last updated: 28 June 2023.
QC 51969