DVA program information for health professionals

Information for health professionals who treat veteran patients or work with the Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) programs.

We process claims and payments for medical, allied health and dental professionals and private hospital and day procedure centres who treat eligible DVA clients and their families.

Read the information for providers on the DVA website.

How to claim

You can make your claims for treating eligible DVA clients online, using the following channels:

  • DVA Medical Online – through Medicare online. You can lodge medical services using DVA Medical Online.
  • DVA Allied Health Online – through Medicare online. You can lodge dental, optical and general allied health services and community nursing claims using DVA Allied Health Online.
  • ECLIPSE – must be used for In Hospital Claims.
  • DVA Webclaim with Health Professional Online Services (HPOS) – if you only have a small number of DVA clients.

You need a Provider Digital Access (PRODA) account to access HPOS and DVA Webclaim. PRODA provides secure access to online government services. If you are claiming as a business, you need to register for a Public Key Infrastructure Site Certificate.

Read about submitting DVA Webclaim using HPOS.

Ask about your claims

To ask about claims, late lodgements, outstanding payments or overpayments call the Veterans' Affairs Processing (VAP) programme enquiry line.

DVA reason codes

When you submit a claim for payment, you’ll get a response to most claims instantly.

A DVA reason code gives you information on the assessment of a service, including why a service was rejected. The codes include a brief explanation.

Register your bank account details

We make payments to you through Electronic Funds Transfer. To get your payment, you need to register your bank details for all of your active provider numbers. Complete the Provider registration for Electronic Funds Transfer payments form or the Banking details online claiming form if you have different providers wanting to register the same account details.


If you’ve been overpaid, we’ll write to you to ask you to pay the money back. We recover overpayments on behalf of DVA.

If you know you’ve been overpaid and we haven’t written to you, you can complete the Voluntary acknowledgement of incorrect payments form.

We’ll send you a recovery letter to:

  • explain the overpayment
  • ask you to issue a refund within 30 days of the letter.

We’ll also send you a reminder letter.

If you don’t pay the money back, we’ll refer the debt to DVA and they will contact you.

To talk to someone about an overpayment, call our VAP programme enquiry line.

Goods and Services Tax (GST)

A number of allied health items attract GST. To claim these items you need to register for GST and submit a Recipient Created Tax Invoice agreement with us.

Read about Goods and services tax (GST) - the MBS and PBS or call goods and services tax (Medicare).

Read about fee schedules and how to become a DVA health care provider on the DVA website.

Coordinated Veterans' Care program

The Coordinated Veterans' Care (CVC) program aims to improve the wellbeing and quality of care for chronically ill DVA Gold Card holders. Read more about the CVC Program on the DVA website.

At Ease program

The At Ease program gives you mental health information if you treat members of the veteran and defence communities. Read about the At Ease program on the DVA website.

Information for doctors working with DVA programs

DVA has information for doctors who are:

  • new medical graduates
  • international medical graduates
  • GPs practising in rural and regional areas
  • GPs treating members of the veteran community.

You can read information for doctors on the DVA website.

Page last updated: 14 November 2022.
QC 22916