Crisis and special help

We can help if you’re in severe financial hardship, recovering from a disaster, or need special assistance.

How we can help you

We have a range of services to help you in a crisis.

Our social workers provide short term counselling, support and can refer you to other services.

Our Community Engagement Officers help you access payments and services if you find it hard to access them.

You can use Centrepay to pay bills and expenses as regular deductions from your Centrelink payments. This can make it easy for you to budget.

The Financial Information Service can help you with money matters. You can go to one near you.

How our payments can help you

We have payments to help in crisis situations.

The type of payment you may get depends on your situation.

Additional Child Care Subsidy Temporary Financial Hardship gives extra help with the cost of approved child care. It's short-term help if you’re in financial hardship due to events outside your control. This includes when a major disaster event has adversely affected your family.

Crisis Payment is a one off payment if you’ve experienced an extreme circumstance and are in severe financial hardship.

Carer Adjustment Payment is a one off payment if your child under 7 gets a severe illness or major disability. The illness or disability must be because of a catastrophic event.

Home Equity Access Scheme is a fortnightly loan payment using equity in real estate assets you own in Australia.

You can get an early release of your super to help with unpaid expenses. You can apply based on compassionate grounds from the Australian Taxation Office. If you're in severe financial hardship apply to your super fund.

If you already get an income support payment, you may be able to get an advance lump sum payment.

Special Benefit may be able to help support you or your dependents. This is only if you can’t get any other income support payment or benefit.

Other support services that can help you

There are a range of other organisations that give support services and useful information. You can use Payment and Service Finder to locate help in your local area. This can include counselling and mental health services.

The National Redress Scheme is to help people who experienced institutional child sexual abuse before 1 July 2018. Read more on the National Redress Scheme website.

How Moneysmart can help you

Moneysmart has tips and tools to help you make the most of your money. They can direct you to charities and community organisations that can help with:

  • one off food, transport or chemist vouchers
  • rent or accommodation
  • part payment of electricity, gas or water bills
  • food parcels or clothing
  • budgeting or referrals to other programs.

Read more about urgent money help on the Moneysmart website.

Page last updated: 28 September 2023.
QC 22036