Child support and care arrangements

If care arrangements change it may affect the child support payments you make or get.

There are rules that affect how changes to care arrangements apply to child support assessments. They apply when we’re told about a change more than 28 days after it occurred.

You must tell us as soon as possible if care arrangements change. If you don’t, you may get a debt or a child support overpayment.

You can tell us about a change using your Child Support online account through myGov.

Read more about how your percentage of care affects your child support payments.

Family Tax Benefit (FTB) Part A and child support

There is a close link between child support payments and FTB. Any child support you pay or get may affect the amount of FTB you get.

If care arrangements change for your child, we may need to change your:

  • care percentage
  • child support
  • FTB payments.

We’ll apply any changes regardless of whether:

  • you collect child support privately
  • we collect and transfer it for you
  • you have a child support agreement.

You may need to give us evidence to support the change in circumstances. You can complete the Details of your child’s care arrangements form (FA012). This gives us information about your child’s care arrangements. Use the care arrangement calendar to help you work out your level of care. You can return this with the completed Details of your child’s care arrangements form (FA012) or separately if needed.

Use our online estimators to see how changes in care arrangements may affect your FTB and child support.

Read more about child support and your FTB Part A.

Medicare and care arrangements

If care arrangements change for a child, you may also need to update the details with Medicare.

Register or change Medicare details for you or your family using the:

Page last updated: 3 March 2022