Change of circumstances

You need to tell us as soon as possible if there’s a change to any of the details you gave us. Changes can affect your payment.

What to tell us

You need to tell us if there are changes to any of the following circumstances:

  • your contact details
  • your bank details
  • your visa status
  • your relationship status, for example if you become partnered or separated
  • care arrangements for any children in your care
  • your work status
  • your accommodation details
  • you or your partner’s income or assets, for example if you get a lump sum payment.

You need to tell us about a change in your circumstances straight away. If you don’t, we may pay you too much and you may have to pay back the money.

How to tell us

You can tell us about a change to your circumstances by calling 131 202 and follow the prompts. This will direct your call to the first available Service Officer. For questions about your visa or immigration status contact the Department of Home Affairs.

How to change or correct your name

To change or correct your legal name, you’ll need to:

  • request changes to your identity through the Department of Home Affairs
  • bring required forms to your nearest Home Affairs office.

The Department of Home Affairs will make the decision regarding your request. Once confirmed, they will share this information with us.

Find your nearest Home Affairs office and location on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Page last updated: 10 August 2022