The person getting care must meet all of the following:
- score high enough on the Adult Disability Assessment Determination 2018 (ADAT)
- have an illness or disability likely to last at least 6 months, or have a terminal illness
- need constant care in their home, your home or in hospital.
The ADAT has questions both the carer and treating health professional must answer.
You may also qualify if the person you provide care for meets a lower ADAT score and has either:
- a dependent child younger than 6
- a dependent child between 6 and 16 that they get Carer Allowance for.