Residence rules

Both the carer and the person getting care must meet these rules.

On the day you claim, you must both be usually:

Newly arrived residents generally have to wait 2 years before getting this payment, with some exemptions.

If you don’t meet these rules you may be able to claim if you’ve lived or worked in a country that has a social security agreement with Australia.

To keep getting Carer Payment

To keep getting Carer Payment you must usually both continue to be Australian residents.

Page last updated: 3 March 2022